Monday, October 31, 2011

I had a small meltdown in the parking lot...


I went to Weis Markets to get a great deal on paper products, but they were all out.  So, what was gonna be a "super savin' maven" trip turned essentially into a milk run...a really expensive milk run...  You remember that milk and cereal deal I did 2 weeks ago?  The one where I got 8 boxes of cereal for super-cheap?  Yeah, all that cereal is gone.  Two people went through 8+ boxes in 2 weeks!  So, I had that dreaded four-letter word on my hands (N-E-E-D) on more than one front.  Here's what I got:

(2) Tostitos BOGO @ $4.99
(3) Eggo waffles @ 3/$5 (trying to cut our cereal addiction)
(2) GM cereal $2.50 ea. (:O)
-$0.75/1 Cinn. Toast Crunch (doubles to $1.50)
(2) O.S. cranberry juice with calcium $1.79 (clearance!)
(1) Pillidelphia cooking cream $2
-$1/1 cooking cream
(1) A&W Root Beer 2 Liter (Coke prices were sooo high, so I subbed root beer) $1
(1) dozen eggs $1.89
Clementines $3.99
(1) gal. milk $3.29
(2) Freschetta pizzas $5.50 ea.
-$1/1 Freschetta pizza
(1) Newspaper $2

Total: $42.41

Aaaaand here's where I nearly cried.  Look at my cart again.  It looks like nothing to me--a few pizzas, some chips...  I was a little encouraged to see on my receipt that I had saved 35% ($23.60), but I still had to call my sister for some talk therapy.  She told me about her latest trip where she spent $150 and saved 8%.  I felt a little better.  She also commented, "I've created a monster!," and it is so true.  I'm pretty sure I'm "addicted to saving;" hopefully, I'll get over that soon (dad did say not to take up gambling).  In the meantime, I'll focus on the CVS run I did on Saturday.  I was pretty excited.  Here's what I got:



(2) Fun-sized bags M&M's $2.50 ea.
-(2) $1.50/1 Mars candy (9oz.+) coupons
(2) Fun-Sized bags Hershey's milk chocolate bars $2.50 ea.
-(2) $1/1 Hershey's candy (any, 9 oz. +) coupons
-4 ECBs

Total: $1.60 (on CVS gift card)
ECBs received: 3
Credit in Savings Star account: $1 (for buying M&Ms)

It's like I paid $1.60 for 4 bags of candy!!!  I saved 90% off retail price ($4 ea.)!!  I was purdy excited!!  See, I AM a "super savin' maven"!

2 comments:

Andy said...

If you really gotta have cereal get the off brand versions in the uber-large bags. You'll save both by buying in bulk and by not buying name brands.
As an added bonus you can save anytime no coupons required.

Cathy said...

That's so true, Andy! I've been couponing for so long, I don't think I even checked the generic section (cereal is probably the only thing that is "filed" separately at my store). But generic is a great way to go when you "need." =D